Monday, February 21, 2011

Tell The Museums of NY I Want My Childhood Back

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why1980's pop culture is so prevalent in the museums right now. Not only that but I'd like to understand also why its beginning to bother me. As I have written earlier in FREEZE TAG, having the decapitated head of Chewbacca behind the glass at the Museum of the Moving Image is disheartening, unnatural, and ruins a childhood mythical figure only the way adults can do it. P.S. 1 in Queens has an exhibit by Chinese artist, Feng Mengbo, where he reconfigures elements of old Nintendoesque games and graphics to creates his own video game that takes up two walls  facing eachother and is of course interactive allowing the viewer to become the player as well by using a cordless controller. The scale is outrageous. I played it myself and had fun doing it. Rather fucking fun actually. But now let's shoot over to the The Museum of Modern Art. They have a whole exhibit devoted to 80's music and videos named 'Music 3.0' or some crap. Which isn't to say that the music was crap. I love many 80's pop songs and rap songs. I grew up with them. I know and love them. Believe me. But I guess I can't help but to wonder, 'Why is this stuff in a museum exhibition?'
I can go easily to the internet for all my nostalgic inclinations towards videos or t.v. shows or live concerts from the 1980's. Why mOmA? Not only that but what is the point you are trying to make? I wonder what Kirk Varnedoe would think? Enough already. I can see every video RUN DMC or the Beastie Boys ever made by clicking over to youtube. I'm sure as the season goes on I will find more examples of this weird museumizing of my pure childhood everythings.

No comments:

Post a Comment